A diversified financial group with international operations
Provides expertise to overall underwriting philosophy and framework, and plays a key role in supervisory practices and management of cases across product lines including life and disability.
Assist in providing co-signatures (2nd signature) on referral cases.
- As the underwriting subject matter expert, collaborates with the Chief Underwriter, and the underwriting teams in Montreal and Toronto.
- Participates in developing underwriting strategies consistent with the company’s overall direction and goals.
- Acts as an advisor while applying sound analytics, technical and regulatory knowledge, and underwriting authority on large and complex cases.
- Recommends appropriate change to individual Underwriter approval limits.
- Conducts audits and quality reviews on “pending cases” for underwriting team.
- Gives underwriting assessment on claims, E&O, opinions, etc.
- Provides expertise and support to other functional groups (Actuarial, Marketing, Finance, Claims, Legal) and responds to any questions/issues that arise on reinsurance treaties.
- Performs, analyzes and reacts to placement ratios and other appropriate indicators.
- Assesses and analyzes reinsurance treaties, and is responsible for conducting ongoing reviews.
- Acts as a trainer, mentor and partner to the underwriting teams.
- Actively supports underwriting activities by providing input, guidance, leading team discussions and being a positive contributor when resolving technical and/or client issues.
- Supports the employees in their responsibilities and objectives, focussing on developing their expertise.
- Liaises, informs and updates colleagues, and members of Senior Management Team.
- Assists in the business development process, including establishing, nurturing and maintaining relationships with existing and potential clients.
- Stays abreast of trends, changes and competitors in the reinsurance market and industry.
- Represents Optimum Reassurance at industry meetings, conferences and workshops.
- Participates as a subject matter expert, leader or team member, on internal special projects, committees, meetings and client presentations, as required.
Experience and education
Experience / training
- 10 to 20 years of experience in underwriting of life and disability in the reinsurance/insurance industry.
- Bachelor or Master degree or equivalent in business, economics, finance or related field.
- Sound knowledge of the Canadian life insurance market.
- FLMI and/or FALU designation.
- Bilingual (French & English) and excellent communication skills.
Qualities and aptitudes
- Strong leadership and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively while under pressure.
- Sound underwriting judgment in the absence of set guidelines.
- Demonstrated flexibility and tolerance to ambiguity.
- Ability to collaborate.
- Client oriented